Volunteering with Her Circle
Her Circle operates with an all-volunteer staff, working from locations throughout the United States, United Kingdom, and Europe. Prospective volunteers may contact us at any time to express interest. Currently available opportunities will be listed on this page, and remain open until filled.
Editor-in-Chief (part-time), HerCirlceEzine.com
Her Circle, a magazine of women’s creative arts and activism, seeks an Editor-in-Chief to lead the publication through its next era of growth and refinement. This pivotal position requires an innovative, organized and resourceful leader, knowledgeable in online publishing, editorial team management and web production.
Publication is x1 article per week, distributed online and via email to subscribers.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Determines themes and contents of issues in concordance with brand’s editorial mission.
- Initiates and responds to ideas for articles according to editorial policy.
- Establishes and oversees schedules for the editorial content of publication.
- Initiates or replies to correspondence regarding material published or being considered for publication.
- Directs copy editors, production editors, writers, and researchers.
- Writes or directs the writing of articles, stories, editorials, headlines, and captions.
- Rewrites or directs the rewriting of copy, headlines, and captions to clarify meaning and to conform to publication’s style and editorial policy.
- Copy edits or directs copy editing activities such as conferring with writers, editing copy, marking up copy, and reading page proofs to detect and correct errors.
- Maintains strong working relationships with third party sources and partners.
- Represents the brand to major constituencies, including readers, advertisers, other publishers and websites.
- Leads weekly editorial staff meetings to discuss and develop coverage.
- Conceptualizes and executes long-term vision for the magazine by organizing offline events and generally directing the tone, look and feel of the site.
- Tracks traffic trends and analytics, and conceives and implements traffic-boosting content ideas to create a sustainable upward trend in the number of visitors to the site.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications or related field required.
- 3-5 years experience in writing/reporting/editing/managing/web producing.
- Superb writing and editing skills, with the ability to frame and shape copy into engaging stories.
- Excellent instincts for how to conceptualize and package story content into a variety of story formats.
- Strong knowledge of best practices in the full arc of online magazine development and production.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to relay and manage writing and editorial expectations for the magazine.
- Flexibility and the capacity to juggle multiple responsibilities simultaneously in a deadline-driven environment.
- The ability to add to the quality of the department’s network of freelance writers, editors, and designers.
- Up-to-date knowledge of Internet publishing, metrics and usage patterns, including a strong grasp of social media and online editorial community-building.
- Committed to quality; organized, accurate and detail-oriented.
Position is open until filled. For consideration, please submit a letter of interest with resume/CV to email@example.com. Include the position title (Editor-in-Chief) in the subject line of your email. Position will remain open until filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Working virtually from her home office, the Copy Editor will fact check, proofread and line edit all magazine content as needed, for both books and literature as well as art content. Attendance to weekly staff meetings is conducted via Skype internet conference call.
This volunteer position requires an estimated 6hr per week commitment for an initial period of 3 months. The ideal volunteer has editing experience, aspires to a career in publishing, is computer literate, has a demonstrated interest in women’s art and literature, and is socially and politically aware.
To apply, please send a letter of interest, a short writing sample, and a resume/CV to firstname.lastname@example.org .Include the position title (Copy Editor) in the subject line of your email. Position will remain open until filled. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.